Saturday, February 07, 2009

Saturday 7th February

I was out from around 3.45 until 5.30ish today. This afternoon we had to go to Thurrock/Lakeside and as we were wandering around the furniture shops I had the unmistakeable tingling call of Waxwing and sure enough 7 drop into a tree in the car park showing down to about 6 feet! Of course no bins or camera!

Back to New Hythe....after a tip off from Jerry Warne I added a male Brambling to my year list along Lunsford Lane and also my first Reed Bunting of the year (!!) driving around to the Water works entrance I took a walk around the east scrub but only saw a Kestrel and a few Redwing and Fieldfare in the fading light.

I hoped to see a Bittern again but no sign this evening. A Sparrowhawk and active Kingfisher was about it.

Reed Bunting

6 Comments:

At 7:32 pm, Blogger Steve said...

an't be good all the time. Well done on the Wxwing. Now I know where the Wierton ones have gone. Shopping!

 
At 7:42 pm, Blogger Ken. said...

Hi Steve. Fancy not taking your optics with you. No 1 rule: Never go anywhere without your equipment.Apart from that, well done with the Waxwings, and the Brambling.

 
At 8:10 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Hi Steve.....I would only go to Bluewater if I was sure of seeing an unusual bird or one that I haven't seen before. Perhaps you should always take your camera with you.....

Since the coldsnap there seem to be a lot more birds in my garden.....

 
At 12:01 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

A couple more for the year list then steve! Your soon be overtaking me, I always struggle around this time of year. :-(

 
At 9:01 pm, Blogger John Gilham said...

Hi Steve
As a wanabee photographer I am stunned by the quality of photograph you manage to ge whilst what appears to be wandering around the lake. I frequently walk the same area and never get the opportunity to get a bird posed the way you do. How do you achieve such a high level of quality and so consistantly without sitting in a hide all day?

 
At 10:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steve, glad you managed to get out. I spent most of the weekend in bed with the lurgie! Still, the cold weather has meant that we have had Reed Bunting and Fieldfare in the garden, so I've managed to see these from the bedroom window!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home