Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sunday 28th December

A cold, clear and sunny day today and I managed to get out out for a few hours this afternoon.

I parked by Alders, the lake here is full of hundreds of Coot and assorted wintering duck - but nothing too exciting. Lots of Goldfinch were feeding on teasels along Lundsford Lane and were unusually confiding.

Goldfinch
Over towards the scrape a Little Egret was feeding on the far bank - too far away for a decent picture. A Chiffchaff also called in the bushes here. My main quarry was a Firecrest but despite searching it still eluded me. I did see a Goldcrest, 10+ Fieldfare, a few Redwing, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a single Siskin.

6 Comments:

At 11:06 pm, Blogger Ken. said...

Hi Steve. Nice to get out, huh? Like the Goldfinch shots. Pity about the Firecrest. I looked for the one I have been seeing up here but nothing today.

 
At 12:11 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

Those Goldfinch do make a good portait Steve.Good to see you getting out, keep checking those Goldcrests!!

 
At 3:13 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

The firecrest was showing well at 1.00 p.m. in the usual ditch where it takes a right angled bend

 
At 6:30 pm, Blogger Steve said...

Great Goldfinch photos Steve. I've only seen the Goldcrests over there, never Fires, but keep looking.

 
At 11:00 pm, Blogger Ken. said...

Hi Steve.In case you aren't here tomorrow I will take this opportunity to with you and your family a Happy New Year.

 
At 4:55 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Fantastic Goldfinch photos Steve! Happy New Year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home