Saturday, January 10, 2009

Saturday 10th January

With -9 on the thermometer this morning it was frustrating to know that i couldn't really get out. On the way to Tesco this morning I did however convince the management that we should drive down Lunsford lane so I could check the Millstream from the car. I was really pleased to add a Little Egret here to my New Hythe year list but little else.

Later in the afternoon I had worn the kids out so with my 4 cherubs all sound asleep in the back of the car I again meandered down Lunsford Lane to see if there would be anything attracted to the running water of the Millstream, I drove up and down several times and was delighted to flush a Jack Snipe firstly about ten feet and then a little further. I couldn't get any decent pictures in the fading light so excuse the one I have posted. Also a Water Rail here that was jumpy but kept coming back to the the water to feed. Another Little Egret, 15 Goldfinch and a Great Spotted Woodpecker were also noted. Excuse the pictures as the light was fading fast when I returned mid afternoon.

Water Rail

Jack Snipe - through the windscreen!

Water Rail

4 Comments:

At 10:34 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Wow...Jack Snipe!! Some great records today Steve.

 
At 2:04 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

Great record steve! I thought I did well photographing a Common Snipe today.....you've out done me today mate!

 
At 8:42 pm, Blogger Steve said...

Not bad for a quick trip. At least you've got the pictures, I've not come close to getting a 'Rail' yet!

 
At 9:21 pm, Blogger Ken. said...

Hi Steve. Your clocking up some good birds down the lakes lately. Well done. The Water Pipit I have seen in Halling is from the river bank along The Common, up towards Wouldham church way
I would like to see the Water Rail and Jack Snipe, where where they at again? Was it the Millstream?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home