Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday 24th January

I didn't manageto get out until about 4.20 today so only time for about 40mins birding before it got dark. I briefly checked the Bittern spot at the end of the Millstream Lake but initially no sign. So I walked around the West and East scrub. Well over 100 Fieldfare (with a few Redwing) were feeding on the ground in the East Scrub and showing really well. Also a Green Woodpecker and Goldcrest.

Back over to the Bittern spot around 4.50 I saw some movement in the reeds and then 1........2......3 Bittern appeared. All within a few feet of each other. One flew briefly into the front of the reedbed. Really pleased with that. I later heard another Bittern was seen around the same time on Brooklands Lake so at least 4 in the area.

8 Comments:

At 7:03 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

4 Bittern! It wasn't so long ago that would have been the whole english population!! Lucky you.

 
At 7:59 pm, Blogger Ken. said...

Hi Steve. I now know where the Bittern spot is. I was down there at 3pm and Phil Sharp showed me the spot,in the reeds on Streamside? Anyway while we was there 1 Bittern showed itself well with the sun on it. Great view, and a 1st for me for the year. As for you getting 3. That's gonna take some beating. Well done mate.

 
At 8:17 pm, Blogger lee said...

Now your just being greedy!, i might pop over my self if no one objects brilliant spot well done and thanks for posting it.

 
At 8:52 pm, Blogger Adam said...

OK Steve, you win - I'm going to have to leave these Waxwings behind and come Bittern spotting!

Ad

 
At 8:57 pm, Blogger Steve said...

I am deffinately coming over to the Lakes soon. 4 Bitterns, you really must share.

 
At 9:02 am, Blogger Greenie said...

Steve ,
Sorry , but your last posting was downright greedy !
Well done .

 
At 4:22 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Wow! 4 Bitterns!

 
At 12:42 pm, Blogger Phil and Mandy said...

You have some superb pictures on your blog Steve, I hope I will get better at taking soon and can post some nice ones on mine also. Phil Green

 

Post a Comment

<< Home