Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tuesday 11th December

The rumours of my demise are untrue....just been working like mad recently and my wife is 3 months pregnant with or 4th child so things have been a bit hectic. I did however get out today between 9 and 11.30. It was a beautiful bright morning.
I parked in the country park car park which I don't usually do. I was hoping I might see something interesting in the small wood there but it was very quiet. I did however get good views of a Great Spotted Woodpecker high in a Silver Birch and then close by a pair of Stonechat showed really well.
GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER

STONECHAT MALE

A few Redwing 'seeeped' as they flew over and Greenfinch and Goldfinch were feeding on the teasels. I had really good views of a single Water Vole near the divers car park. I completely mucked my photos up though which was a shame.


There wasn't much on Abbey Mead which was surprising as it was so cold. Walking around the bottom of the lake I had good views of 2+ Goldcrest and the first of 10 Bullfinch. Along the Medway there were Redwing everywhere and the first of 2 Cettis called.


Back along the Millstream I scanned again for Bittern but no sign. 8 Cormorant here as well as Shoveler, Gadwall and Pochard. Back to the car park I added Mistle Thrush feeding on the ground.

CORMORANT & SHOVELER



MISTLE THRUSH

Back at home in Birling around 12 I looked out of the kitchen window and had great views of 3 Buzzard circling low and then moving towards Ryarsh. Later at around 1.45 I had another Buzzard high flying towards the North Downs in Ryarsh. Also 6+ Red Legged Partridge in Birling.

GREY SQUIRREL

3 Comments:

At 5:50 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Some great photos Steve. Was volunteering at Leybourne Lakes all day today, tried to see the Bittern at dusk but had no luck. Did hear several Cetti's, a Bullfinch, and a Water Rail.

Also, last Tuesday, 2 male Stonechats were in the rough grassland area opposite the Ocean Lake.

Simon

 
At 6:58 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

welcome back steve! a little less work and a bit more birding/photography needed. wish I had some of your wildfowl overhere.
Warren

 
At 8:25 am, Blogger Shirley said...

Hi there, Steve :-)

Great photos - I especially liked the squirrel shot. We recently had a grey visit my garden in Scotland - pity it wasn't a red!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home