Sunday, December 30, 2007

Sunday 30th December

A short visit today between 9.30 and 10.45. It was extremely busy with dog walkers. Looking forward to the lighter mornings over the next few months when I can get out before the area becomes too busy. My first sighting was a Great Spotted woodpecker that was drumming loudly on a pylon off of Lunsford Lane.

ROUND POND AND POND DIPPING PLATFORM

Fantastic views of Water Vole today by the divers car park bridge. The Water Vole here seems pretty unconcerned with the amount of activity in the area. Whilst I was taking photos some children ran past and the Water Vole just froze and carried on regardless once they’d passed. A Chiffchaff called nearby and a few Redwing called as they flew over.
WATER VOLE

A Mistle Thrush sang continually from high up on a pylon - I could only manage a silhouette (which I have converted to Black & White) A quick scan of Abbey Mead produced good views of a Kingfisher.

MISTLE THRUSH SINGING FROM A PYLON EAST SCRUB
I stopped by Alders Lake around 2.30pm today and saw a female Ruddy Duck - my first for the year here. Not sure what my year list stands for the area - all I know is it is significantly lower than last year.

5 Comments:

At 8:06 am, Blogger Kingsdowner said...

Great photos of the Water Rat (sorry, Vole). Growing up near Loose stream we saw plenty of them, but now not so common of course.
A joy to behold, especially when they (unusually) stay still. The southern otter?

 
At 10:30 am, Blogger Simon said...

Fantastic photos of the Water Vole Steve. I am still yet to see them each time I visit New Hythe/Leybourne Lake.

Welldone with the Ruddy Duck.

 
At 4:38 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

Excellent vole pictures Steve, and Ruddy Duck is a good species to have on your patch, given their enforced decline!!

 
At 7:59 pm, Blogger Adam said...

You're vole pictures just keep getting better - you sure you haven't got one in a cage! Keep up the good work into 2008.

Ad

 
At 12:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Steve for all the info this year, I have made many visits to the patch, 74 species in all, many thanks to following your tips on the blog

David.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home