Saturday, December 13, 2008

Saturday 13th December

What a terrible day - heavy rain all day but I did manage to get out for an hour or so late afternoon for my 300th blog post.

I wasn't expecting much (through wet glasses and wet bins!) I started with a quick scan at the Bittern spot but no sign at around 2.45pm. A female Goldeneye showed distantly in the murk. I wandered along and crossed the railway track to Abbey Mead. A flock of Long Tailed Tits passed through as well as a couple of Goldcrest. Along to Brooklands, close to the tunnel to the carpark I had vert good views of a Chiffchaff and another Goldcrest.

Along the Millstream another Chiffchaff called and some Goldfinches went over as well as a Grey Wagtail. As the light was fading I arrived back at the patch of reeds that regularly holds Bittern in the winter. I could see a ligher shape in the reeds and then it turned its head and flapped its wings - at last I have caught up with a Bittern this winter. It showed well, climbing up into the reeds at around 3.45pm....I left, soaked, but happy!

5 Comments:

At 8:41 am, Blogger Greenie said...

Steve ,
Congratulations on your 300th. post , and what a way to do it with a Bittern . Well worth getting soaked for .
Following your route in my mind , I have a reasonable idea of the area you found it in .
I feel another trespass coming up , would be a nice double with Waxwing !

 
At 4:52 pm, Blogger Ken. said...

Hi Steve. Congrats from me too. Was it somewhere along the Millstream you saw the Bittern or on Brooklands?

 
At 5:00 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Great to hear that you saw the Bittern.

 
At 7:29 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

It makes all the difference when you find a star bird. Somehow the cold and wet don't seem so bad. Nice one Steve

 
At 1:02 pm, Blogger JohnR said...

Well done Steve, on your 300th and the Bittern - I'll have to get up there this winter to try and see this reed lurker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home