Saturday, August 09, 2008

Saturday 9th August

I could only spare an hour this morning for a quick outing to New Hythe. It was bright but there was a stiff breeze. I parked at the Water Works entrance and just did a circuit of the Round Pond, East and West scrub and a quick scan across Abbey Mead.

Seeing as it was early I suprised by the number of butterflies, 60+ Gatekeeper, 12 Meadow Brown, 1 Common Blue, 1 Large White, 1 Essex Skipper, 2 Speckled Wood and best of all in the East Scrub my first Brown Argus here for the year - a bit worn but pleased with that.

Brown Argus

I scanned the Round Pond again for Small Red-Eyed Damselfly but no sign again, I did see good numbers of Red-Eyed Damsels a few Black-tailed Skimmer and several Common Darter.

Bird were few and far between - Green Woodpecker, Willow Warbler (in song as well as 'hueeting') and a large flock of Long-tailed tit.

Common Darter (Fred - a worn female?)

4 Comments:

At 12:50 pm, Blogger Greenie said...

Steve ,
Nice to see the Brown Argus , they seem to be in very short supply this year .
I'd agree with you on a worn female Common Darter , the females can become reddish with age , and I think the vulvar scale , just below segments 9/10 can be made out .
Strange re. Small Red Eye , hope they haven't got problems .

 
At 4:26 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Welldone with the Brown Argus Steve.

 
At 5:30 pm, Blogger The Bald Birder said...

Had a Willow Warbler on Friday evening calling in the neighbours garden at The Lakes. Thanks for Comm'n Sand comment - was big find for Bradbourne. And you've got a friend getting married there in October? Definately bring your bins and camera with you and try and add a few bits to the site list!! You should get Goldcrests and bits (I might even be ringing in the orchard there!) - one day we'll get a YB Warbler or something a bit more special...

 
At 7:27 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Hi Steve....it is good to hear that you saw so many butterflies....I love the brown argus, I have had them in the garden but none this year....lovely photograph.....

I havn't seen any damselflies or dragonflies in the garden for around two weeks.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home