Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday 13th July

I managed 2 hours out today. An hour and a half at New Hythe followed by just under half an hour at Holly Hill just up the road.

Principally I was looking for butterflies and was quite pleased in the end with my haul. At New Hythe I saw 2 Purple Hairstreak, 3 Red Admiral, 2 Comma, 2 Small White, 1 Large White, 3 Essex Skipper, several Small/Essex Skipper, 6+ Gatekeeper and 10 Meadow Brown. Also at New Hythe was a single Water Vole, 2 Slow Worm, 1 Sparrowhawk, 2+ Reed Warbler singing, a Green Woodpecker and family parties of Whitethroat.


Up to Holly Hill I added 6 Marbled White (my first here), a fresh Chalkhill Blue, 20+ Small Heath and 40+ Ringlet. 6 Slow Worm but no Adder seen here.

Around home this lunchtime I have had a Yellowhammer singing in the tree next to my garden and a few Speckled Wood and Large White around.

Comma

Chalkhill Blue at rest and in flight (lucky shot!)



Essex Skippers (New Hythe)




Gatekeepers (New Hythe)


Marbled Whites (Holly Hill)


Meadow Brown (New Hythe)


Purple Hairstreak (New Hythe) - bit distant!

Ringlet (Holly Hill)

Small White (Worn) Holly Hill



9 Comments:

At 3:42 pm, Blogger Greenie said...

Steve ,
You certainly made the most of your time out . That flying Chalkhill Blue , lucky or not is superb . Glad you got the Purple Hairstreaks and the Marbled White as a bonus . Nice one

 
At 6:52 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Hi Steve.....fabulous post...love the butterflies....the one in flight is amazing, what a fantastic shot....

When you have one minute to spare I would be grateful if you could id a sragonfly for me.

I know you are hectic so if you do not have time please don't worry....tks

 
At 7:15 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

well done steve,
a good haul for just 2 hours work. A nice set of butterfly pics. Wish I had some different habitat on my patch.

 
At 7:22 pm, Blogger Stewart said...

I wish we had some of those fantastic butterflies nearer to home....Great pics.

 
At 1:57 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Great post Steve. Fantastic photos!

 
At 8:06 pm, Blogger Kate said...

Utterly stunning pics, Steve!

 
At 10:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

Good to see you're getting out a bit. Great in flight butterfly shot. Haven't been down New Hythe in a couple of weeks. Hope to see you Sunday.

I'm loving the 50mm f1.4 by the way, and been using the 17-40 a lot!

Greg

 
At 8:38 pm, Blogger Goosey said...

These are lovely photos, I find butterflys difficult to take pictures of...they never stay where I want them to!

 
At 9:41 pm, Blogger John Young said...

What a great chalkhill blue shot, brilliant one Steve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home