Saturday, July 19, 2008

Saturday 19th July

Two short outings today. One between 5am and 6am to New Hythe. It was fairly overcast and didn't really brighten up enough during my visit for any photos. I went to see the White Mullien that Adam Whitehouse noted on his blog yesterday. Not a plant I had ever seen before - I may go back and try and photograph it but it is the other side of a chain link fence (that Adam had helpfully marked by putting a red plastic bottle through the fence. The grid ref is TQ7109 6029 if anyone is interested. Apparently it is a fairly scarce plant in Kent.

During my visit I also noted 2 juv. Green Woodpecker, 10 Swift, 2 Reed Warbler and 2 Blackcap.

Between 3 and 4 I went up to Holly Hill again. I am hoping for a Dark Green Fritillary up there but a fairly stiff breeze kept many butterflies down. I did see 1 Marbled White, 1 Chalkhill Blue, 1 Large White, 10 Meadow Brown, 8 Ringlet, 1 Large Skipper and 12 Small/Essex Skipper. Also 8 Slow Worm and plenty of Pyrammidal Orchid.
Small Skipper

Meadow Grasshopper

Chalkhill Blue

Gatekeeper

Cinnabar Moth Caterpillar and Soldier Beetle

3 Comments:

At 7:24 am, Blogger Cheryl said...

Hi Steve...love the photo of the cinnabar moth caterpillar and the soldier beetle....really captivating.
I love reading about the butterflies that you see, it is so good to know they are out there....even if they are not in my garden!!
Lovely photographs as always.....

 
At 8:35 am, Blogger Greenie said...

Steve ,
That stiff breeze has a lot to answer for . Oh for a spell of settled weather . Sorry I pre-empted your White Mullien shot , found 3 more plants later on . Disappointed that there were no aerobatics on the butterfly shots , but enjoyed them anyway .
Good luck with DGF , still got good chance .

 
At 1:14 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

Out at last then steve :-)
Enjoyed looking at your pics today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home