Monday, June 23, 2008

Monday 23rd June

I had an hour to spare today so I decided to go to the lower slopes of Trosley Country Park just down the road. This is one of the premier areas in Kent, if not the country for butterflies - it is extensive chalk downland - part of the North Downs area of outstanding national beauty. I was prompted by John Young's blog post yesterday that he had had a Dark Green Fritillary at Lullingstone yesterday. Trosley has always been a great spot for this species but the numbers have declined dramatically in recent years.

Bee Orchid - wide angle shot showing some of the downs



Meadow Brown

I am sorry to report that I didn't see any Dark Green Frits but I will return for another go in a week or so. I did however see 1 Grizzled Skipper, 20 Ringlet, 12 Meadow Brown, 50+ Small Heath and 4 Common Blue. I also saw an Adder (prob a female but moved quickly once I'd spotted it) and 2 juv Slow Worm. Lots of Pyrammiddal Orchid out and 4-5 Bee Orchid.

Later in the day I picked my daughter up from Ryarsh Primary school and had some cracking views of a Spotted Flycatcher in the front garden of the Vicarage opposite. I only had my wife's point and shoot digital camera with me and my photos were woeful. I will take my camera with me tomorrow so I hope it's still around.

2 Comments:

At 9:55 pm, Blogger Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Cracking shots there..I love the Bee orchid and well done with the Spot Fly, Im seeing them everyday at school! Hope you get a shot of one tomorrow!
Josh

 
At 12:12 pm, Blogger British Butterflies said...

Fab Blogg.
A superb shot of the Bee Orchid and its environs. One day I will visit Trosley.

Keep up the good work.
Steve
http://www.britishbutterflies.co.uk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home