Sunday, June 08, 2008

Sunday 8th June

National Moth Night last night so I put my Moth Trap out. A Tawny Owl was calling as I did. They are only occassional around my house in Birling. I was a bit disappointed with my haul, a Snout, a Common Swift and White Ermine was about it. During the day I had a Hobby and a Kestrel over the house.

Snout Moth (you can see why!)

I did manage an hour at New Hythe from 5.20 until around 6.20. I wandered around the East and West scrub. I didn't see one butterfly, but did see several Black-Tailed Skimmer, Four-Spotted Chasers and loads of Common and Azure Damsels. In the West Scrub there was a Cuckoo, Turtle Dove, Nightingale, Willow Warbler, Cettis Warbler, Whitethroat and Green Woodpecker. Also lots of Common Spotted Orchid, 1 Bee Orchid and 1 Southern Marsh Orchid (which was nearly over)

Common Lizard


Common Spotted Orchid

In the East scrub I saw 2 Grass Snake, 1 male, 2 female and 1 juv Slow Worm and 1 Common Lizard. Also 1+ adult Water Vole and 1+ young Water Vole near the Diver's bridge.

5 Comments:

At 10:20 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Beautiful orchid and I love the lizard. We had one come into our conservatory last year. Soon rescued him and put back into the garden.
I am a great moth fan to, we get lots here. We have bats in the loft to, long eared.
Great post.

 
At 10:28 pm, Blogger John Young said...

Great lizard shot Steve and impressive list of reptiles generally. Aat last you have a bee orchid. Another funny year for orchids, just not sure what is going on. Managed to have my trap out last night, didn't do too bad.

 
At 10:40 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Some good sightings Steve. Super Lizard shot.

 
At 6:41 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

Nice Moth shots steve.............I could get into this moth trapping lark!

 
At 7:30 pm, Blogger Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

we had about 10 flowering Common Spotted Orchids at school but the groundsmen cut them all down and some students were kicking them, great photos Steve, ashame you didn't have more moths..
Josh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home