Thursday, March 15, 2007

Thursday 15th March

A singing Blackcap and Skylark in Birling today and a Red Legged Partridge wandering past the house. I had two visits to New Hythe today. This morning I snatched 45 minutes between 11.15 and 12. 2 singing Chiffchaff, 2 Slow Worm and a Peacock butterfly were the highlights.

I visited again between 5.45 and 6.40. As I walked over the bridge near the scrape I had excellent views of a Water Vole, with another munching reeds loudly nearby. I then sat down at the end of the Millstream (Streamside) to see if the Bittern would show. At about 6.10 I saw one fairly deep in the reeds - it flapped briefly but was difficult to get views as the light failed. At about 6.30 a loud 'Kau' call alerted us to either this or another Bittern flying over. It flew towards Brooklands Lake and then took a wide circle and called again several times over the lake. A very evocative evening.

A Cettis and a Water Rail called regularly as the light faded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home