Thursday, February 15, 2007

Wednesday 14th February

A quick hour snatched today between 2 and 3pm. As time was short I parked at Brooklands Lake car park and decided just to walk to the sunken marsh area at the north end of Abbey Mead and back.

A few Goldfinch in the Alders as I walked around Brooklands, no sign of the Ferruginous Duck on the lake itself. I scanned the scrub around the sunken marsh and picked up a Goldcrest and heard one Cettis and one Water Rail call. Abbey Mead itself was also farily quiet, with the usual mix of duck.

On my way back I decided to linger for 15 minutes by the scrubby area near the inlet of the Medway at the end of the paper mill plant. I was gladI did because within a few seconds of latching onto a small tit flock I had superb views of a Firecrest number 70 for the year. It showed brilliantly and to within about 15 feet. Although I had heard this bird a few times I amnot counting anything until I actually see it.

BLACKTHORN IN FLOWER AROUND BROOKLANDS LAKE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home