Friday, January 12, 2007

Friday 12th January

A visit between 2.50 and 4.50pm today - weather overcast and windy - although not quite as windy as previous days have been.

The first sighting of note was a Sparrowhawk causing alarm amongst a small flock of tits and then banking against the wind giving really nice views as it flew from the West scrub area over towards the railway. Also in the West scrub area was a very smart looking Chiffchaff that called and pumped it's tail continuously. Before crossing the railway line to Abbey Mead I added several Redwing, 2 Jay and 2 Green Woodpecker.

Abbey Mead itself was quiet with just the long staying drake Goldeneye and a single Shelduck of interest. I lingered for 20 minutes in the area where the Firecrest has been seen but no sign. Good numbers of Redwing still here and a calling Cettis.

Walking over to the Medway I checked the sunken marsh - not much showing in the wind apart from a few Reed Bunting. The river held 2 further Shelduck and a few Teal.

I retraced my steps back around Abbey Mead and back to the Millstream where I waited until the light faded. I was rewarded with a Bittern (number 59 for the year) coming in to roost at 4.40 - giving good views as it stomped about in the reedbed. Also 2+ Water Rail giving some good views as the flew to roost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home