Tuesday, January 02, 2007

January 1st 2007

New year at New Hythe. I decided to spend all my time here today. I arrived at 8.30am and left at 1.30pm. In total I recorded 53 species.

I started out from my usual place - the Water Works entrance. Unusually there were some birds on the scrape, 5 Lapwing and a single Common Snipe. I was a bit concerned that the Goosander may have left as I couldn't find it first thing - but did add a Water Rail on the Millstream. As I had more time today I walked over past the round pond to scan Tesco Lake. Plenty of Gulls on here this morning - adding LBB Gull, BH Gull and Common Gull. I even had time for a walk around the visitors centre area - there is a small wooded area here which I should check more often this year.

Back towards the Millstream located a red head Goosander and then checked the scrubby areas. Lots of Redwing still but just one solitary Fieldfare.

I crossed the river to Abbey Mead. The drake Goldeneye was showing well, the tide was very high on the Medway but I added 2+ Bullfinch along the river path including a beautiful male. 5 Teal were on the river itself.

I sat at the sunken marsh for 45 minutes and heard a Bearded Tit AGAIN...but didn't see one. I did see 2 Sparrowhawk here as well as 2 Kestrel. 150 Lapwing flew over Holborough.

I found the Ferruginous Duck fairly quickly on Brooklands Lake and added Pied Wagtail on my way back down the Millstream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home