Sunday, June 18, 2006

Sunday 18th June



Out between 06.30 and 08.00 today. Warm and sunny.

I am really surprised by the number of Nightingale still singing here. At least 6 still in full song this morning and one or two showing from really exposed perches.

2 Cuckoo seen today - one flying across towards Abbey Mead and the other calling from near the scrape. The scrape itself was quiet with just a few BH and LBB Gulls. A Sedge Warbler was singing and showed briefly in the East scub.

Over the railway and around Abbey Mead I had good views of this Garden Warbler, calling and singing above my head.


A nice Clouded Silver on a fence post.

I walked on around Abbey Mead. A few Chiffchaffs and Willow Warbler singing but not much else of note. Spent most of my time trying to avoid behind stung by stinging nettles.

Still no Hobby here for me this year (yet) although I did see 2 yesterday evening from the car along the A228. One near Cuxton and the other near the A2 junction. I am sure I'll stumble across one at New Hythe sometime soon as they are certainly around.


Reed Warblers were very evident this morning. I snapped the one above along the railway track side of Abbey Mead and there were at least another 6 as I walked along past Brooklands Lake.

A Kingfisher shot over my head near the fisherman's building at Brooklands and 2 Cettis were singing.

Not too much of interest along the Mill Stream apart from Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home