Sunday, May 03, 2009

Sunday 3rd May

Rarest thing seen today was me actually out on my patch!

I was out from 8am for a couple hours or so. It was unexpected so when I grabbed my camera the batteries were dead...so no pictures today I am afraid (and typically there were a few potential opportunities for some good pictures.....!)

I started off by the water works and walked through the east and west scrub, over the railway, along the medway (very high tide), through the sunken marsh and then around Brooklands and along the Millstream and back.

Obviously as I haven't been out for ages I was able to tick off the migrants today. I also kept a count which I don't usually do.

Numbers were.....23 Whitethroat, 13 Nightingale, 13 Reed Warbler, 1 Garden Warbler (Millstream) 3 Willow Warbler (all West scrub) 6 Swift, 3 Lesser Whitethroat, 1 Cuckoo, 4 House Martin, 2 Sedge Warbler (1 Sunken Marsh and 1 Millstream) 12 Blackcap, 6 Cettis, 4 Chiffchaff, 1 Swallow, 1 Reed Bunting, 1 Green Woodpecker. Other wildlife - 2 Slow Worm and a single Small White.

5 Comments:

At 8:19 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

13 Nightingales!
I only ever had 2 pairs at most, now they have left my patch:-( I could do with a migrant reed or sedge warbler to pass through this year.

 
At 9:39 pm, Blogger Kate said...

Where do you find slow worms? I haven't seen one since I was a child, and I'd love to spot another.

Congrats to your wife, btw, and hope she feels better soon.

 
At 8:35 am, Blogger Greenie said...

Steve ,
Followed your walk in my mind's eye .
Great list for a couple of hours walk .
And you remembered all their names too !

 
At 2:46 pm, Blogger alan woodcock said...

Pleased you managed a few hours,yes there are good numbers of Whitethroat and Blackcap about,3 Sedge now also,up on last year.

 
At 3:48 am, Anonymous Riverview Pool Services said...

Awesome bloog you have here

 

Post a Comment

<< Home