Monday, May 04, 2009

Monday 4th May

The rarest thing on my patch today was me.....two days in a row...blimey. I was out between 8.15 and 9.30 today. Not long but more than usual! I even remembered to charge the batteries in my camera.

Whitethroat

Today I parked in Brooklands Lake car park and did a circuit around that lake and through the sunken marsh at the top of Abbey Mead. Not as long a walk as yesterday so the numbers are well down.


Cuckoo

The first of 3 Chiffchaff was singing in the car-park as I pulled in and was joined by the first of 6 Blackcap. As I walked around Brooklands it was clear that there was a singing Reed Warbler virtually every 20-30 feet. really good numbers around this year. Whitethroat, as yesterday were everywhere too - I only counted 7 in my short walk but there were probably many more and must be scores in the area as a whole.

Reed Warbler

A Cuckoo called from wires over the Sunken Marsh and 3 Swallow went over. Also a Sedge Warbler here and several Nightingale (5 counted in total)

Nightingale

Later in the day I drove down Lunsford Lane and had a showy Nightingale here as well as c100 Sand Martin on Alders as the rain began to fall.

9 Comments:

At 7:44 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Beautiful.....so many beautiful birds....
I am so envious of the cuckoo....I can hear him call when I am in my garden....I have never seen him.........

 
At 9:11 pm, Blogger Kingsdowner said...

Commendable photos of cuckoo and nightingale!

 
At 10:01 pm, Blogger Steve said...

Great Cuckoo photo(G*t), still havn't seen one. A good collection for such a grotty day.

 
At 10:44 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Some very nice photos Steve. Pleased to read that you have been able to get out.

 
At 7:18 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

Great photo's of hard to see - let alone photograph species! Good to hear there are lots of Reed warblers about this year. Maybe i'll pick up a migrant in the Autumn!

 
At 7:45 pm, Anonymous Charlie said...

Nice photos. Bet it's loud over there with so many Nightingales and Cett's.

Do Grasshopper Warblers still turn up at New Hythe sometimes? Haven't visited for ages, but there used to be the odd one or two some years ago.

 
At 10:08 pm, Blogger Ken. said...

Hi Steve.
Not bad at all. They are all great birds what you saw, and to photograph them as well. That Nightingale picture is a wonderful shot. They are difficult enough normally to see.

 
At 8:19 pm, Blogger The Bald Birder said...

Hi there Steve, Had three Common Sands on Sunday night (10th May) at New Hythe lakes while I was preparing to take bat snaps. A surprising record given, species, times and the public nature of the site. Don't know if you've had other reports of them being around?

 
At 12:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liked the reed warbler picture tough to get pictures in bushes. :

 

Post a Comment

<< Home