Sunday, December 07, 2008

Sunday 7th December

Firstly some late news from Friday. I was caught in horrendous traffic on the way home from work so was driving down the country lane between Snodland and Birling at about 8pm. I had fantastic views in my full beam of a Tawny Owl on a branch over the road.

Out at New Hythe today from 1.30 until 4.45, I parked by Alders and walked around the lake in the fantastic winter sunshine. Alders had large numbers of duck and gulls and the Alders held 6 Siskin, a single Redpoll, a Treecreeper and several Goldcrest, 2 Kingfisher were also seen/heard. A Grey Wagtail went over as I reached the bridge by the Millstream a Buzzard flew in low from the Leybourne Lakes car park area and then gained height and circled over the Scrape. There were the constant sharp calls of Redwing as they flew over and fed on hawthorn.

Pochard


Black Headed Gull

Gadwall


I walked down towards the scrape and had good views of a pair of Stonechat. A Chiffchaff was associating with a mixed Tit flock in the scrub.

Stonechat

I retraced my steps and walked back around Alders. I then drove around to the Water Works entrance for a Bittern vigel. Again no sign but the constant sound of Goldcrest in the trees here, a 'singing' (if you can call it singing!) Cettis and several Water Rail.


Long Tailed Tit


Great Tit

7 Comments:

At 8:09 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Some excellent sightings there Steve, and some great photos too!

 
At 9:55 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Beautiful photographs.....love the stonechat....great sightings.....

 
At 9:58 pm, Blogger Ken. said...

Hi Steve
I think the Bittern is giving you the runaround at the moment.Glad you got some good shots today, nice variety of birds too.
I was going to pop down myself today but as it was such a lovely day I thought there might have been a lot of families and dog walkers about.
10 out of 10 for the Tawny Steve.

 
At 8:52 am, Blogger Greenie said...

Steve ,
You certainly know how to wind up people from the Pittswood area with what you catch in your headlights .
Sounds like a really good visit , shame about the Bittern , that would have iced it . Great shots .

 
At 4:37 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

Tawny Owl indeed! While sitting in a car!!
maybe I should try that. (-:
Bet you enjoyed getting out today Steve. some good photo's today mate.

 
At 8:29 pm, Blogger John Young said...

Hi Steve, reads like a good few hours out and great shots, especially the gadwall.

 
At 9:00 pm, Blogger Steve said...

Looks like you had a good day with some nice sightings. Never seen a Bittern or Water Rail over there, I'll have to have a look at the weekend. Some great photos too. Like the Stonechat and the Great Tit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home