Saturday, October 25, 2008

Saturday 25th October

A thoroughly frustrating day today....and proof that kids and birding do not mix. I heard mid-week that a Red-backed Shrike had been found just up the road in Halling. A ten minute drive away. I was hoping that it would stick around for the weekend. Time as always was short and I shot out at 8am for a 45minute shot at the bird. It was hand dumbingly cold and a whistle stop search for the Shrike only revealed a few Meadow Pipits and Green Woodpecker. No sooner was I home than I was texted that the bird had been found. I knew I would be lucky to get back today but at 5pm as the light was fading I had a chance to go out but had to take my 4 month and 2 and half year old sons. I arrived at just before half 5 and a combination of crying baby and fading light meant I stood no chance........a Kingfisher across the Medway was my only sighting of note after I gave up after 10 minutes.....

Off to Scotland on holiday for a week from tomorrow morning so gutted that I will not see the Red-backed shrike..grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Whinge over!

4 Comments:

At 9:34 pm, Blogger Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Bad luck with the Shrike( See my Blog!!!) Good luck for some good wildlife in Scotland!
JJS

 
At 10:07 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Hi Steve.....what a shame.......hope the weather is good for you in Scotland.........you might be interested to know I had a kingfisher in my garden last week....flew right in front of me out of some grasses.....fab experience......

 
At 10:15 pm, Blogger Ken. said...

Hi Steve. Bad luck with the Shrike. Where are you going in Scotland? I was up there for 2 weeks in July. I stayed at Nethybridge,Nr Loch Garten. We did go across to the west coast to see the Sea Eagles at Gruinard Bay.It was also nice to see the Hooded Crows with their Pinkish tinge to them. It was well worth it.Have a great trip.Hope to hear all about it when you get back.P.S. If you are anywhere near the Speyside Heather Garden and Visitors Centre, call in and try their world famous Clootie Dumplings.The restaurant is good too. Good luck with the wildlife.

 
At 12:04 pm, Blogger Kate said...

Sympathies! Been there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home