Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday 24th August

The day started badly. I ran my moth trap last night after reading a forecast that said it would remain dry. It poured down in the middle of the night and my bulb ended up shattering....grrrrrr. Best species seen were a Light Emerald and a Mother of Pearl. The Mother of Pearl is in fact a 'micro moth' even though it is larger than many of the macros (?) I have seen alot of these lately. In certain light their wings show a colourful rainbow-like lustre hence the name.

Light Emerald

Mother of Pearl



Later I went to New Hythe for an hour. I spent it around my own version of Warren's migrant alley (see Warren's brilliant local patch blog www.pittswoodpatch.blogspot.com-) the East scrub. I didn't see a sausage (unless you count the ubiqitous dog do-doo) Only sightings of note were a Sparrowhawk, 2 Green Woodpecker, a flock of 20+ Lt Tit. I also had a look for Wasp Spider in places were I have seen them before, but again drew a blank........watching a local patch can be frustrating....but it is purple patches like the one Warren is having that keeps you going!

7 Comments:

At 7:23 pm, Blogger Greenie said...

Steve ,
I've found the same with Wasp Spiders . Two years ago I had about 16 at Spring Park . Last year and this - nothing .
Even on Hayes Common , where I had several egg sacks last Autumn , nothing this year .

 
At 9:18 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Hi Steve......love the moths....we get a lot here....they always flock to my front door....never sure what the attraction is....it is a sheltered spot, perhaps that is it...
I have just been into the garden and there was an owl in the old oak tree....unfortunately I am not very good with their calls but it was wonderful to hear in the still of the garden......

 
At 1:57 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

Hello steve,
Thanks for the blog promotion! Your right about local patches being frustrating. I didn't see a sausage either today! (25th)

 
At 7:49 pm, Blogger John Young said...

Hi Steve, I was at Reculver today and it was pretty quiet there and checking Warrens post I think all round it was a quiet day for migration. Very frustrating when the weather folks get it wrong especially when it costs you hard earned cash.

 
At 5:22 pm, Blogger Anna Simpson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:23 pm, Blogger Anna Simpson said...

Hi Steve,

Fantastic photographs of the moths.
I became interested in moth trapping a couple of months back after attending a moth trap session on my holiday in Norfolk where it set off a spark, and now I am hooked. It is a fantastic and very enjoyable thing to do. The first time I put my moth trap out I had a lot of Yellow Underwings and pugs and a Swallow-tailed Moth. The pugs were interesting and fun to identify.
I bet it was annoying with the bulb shattering.
Keep up the moth traping, and I hope to hear more of your moth trapping sessions very soon.

 
At 2:04 pm, Blogger JohnR said...

Hi Steve,
I have adapted an old lamp shade frame with a bit of perspex to act as a cover to protect the light in the event of rainfall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home