Sunday, June 01, 2008

Sunday June 1st

I was out between 9.30 and 11.15 today, overcast but still. 4 Nightgale were heard, 1 Cuckoo, 8 Reed Warbler, 10 Whitethroat, 4 Blackcap, c40 Swift and best of all 2 Linnet in the East scrub - my 95th species for the year. Also a Kestrel in the area. Around the East scrub I also found 1 Grass Snake and 4 Slow Worm.

Overcast and warm conditions are good for insect photography....these would have all been better with a tripod but I can't be bothered to lug one around!

Cardinal Beetle


Male Scorpion Fly (gets it's name from the tail)


Male Banded Demoiselle (thought I'd post this as it's better than the one I took the other day)

Long-Jawed Orb-Weaver


Late update - here is a White Ermine, one of three I trapped last night.


5 Comments:

At 12:57 pm, Blogger Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Sounds like a great morning! Great photos too, did you put your moth trap out? I did and had a few species, see my blog for getails and photos.
Cheers
Josh

 
At 1:14 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

Well done on the Linnet steve, you'll soon get 100 species up! something I am still trying to do. This year's the one!

 
At 5:00 pm, Blogger John Young said...

Cracking scorpion fly Steve, what a great looking insect. John

 
At 8:39 pm, Blogger John Young said...

Thanks for trying with the caterpillars Steve. I've done a bit more digging and I think they might be some type of sawfly but still not sure. Cheers, John

 
At 10:50 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Great to hear about the Linnet Steve. Super photos too, I especially like the Demoiselle and Scorpion Fly...welldone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home