Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Tuesday 6th May

Now things don't often fall into place like this.......I decided to drop in quickly post work (4.45 - 5.15ish) principally to try and find either Green Hairstreak and/or Hobby. I saw neither BUT had the fantastic sight of 3 Crane drifting over for about 10 minutes. They first appeared over the east scrub and then drifted first over the west scrub and then towards Tesco, then came back over me and drifted over Snodland and towards the North Downs. Obviously a New Hythe tick for me!! excuse the pictures...I managed to wrestle my macro lens off whilst holding my bins and throw my 100-400 lens on. So silhouettes are the best I could manage at such range.


3 CRANE drifting over at 5pm

Only other sightings of note in my half hour visit were 7 Slow Worm, 2 Grass Snake, 1 Common Lizard, 1 Orange Tip, 1 Peacock, 2 Nightingale and several Whitethroat.

8 Comments:

At 6:46 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

Common Crane, what a patch tick steve! so near to me - yet so far. well done mate.

 
At 9:49 pm, Blogger Dave Carey said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:52 pm, Blogger Dave Carey said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:58 pm, Blogger Dave Carey said...

Possibly coincidence, but there were three cranes down on one of the gravel pits to the South of Barnes Street by 8.15 - the shallow pit nearest to Hartlake Bridge. Great views, even one doing a bit of "dancing".

 
At 10:33 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! Cranes!! Welldone, thats fantastic mate. You must be chuffed to bits.

 
At 10:45 pm, Blogger Adam said...

Well done Steve! Photos weren't 'pinpricks' at all. So close yet so far, only 0.5miles away and down the River watching Herons!!!!!

Adam

 
At 8:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Steve! Must have given you that 'good bird buzz' that we get when we stumble onto something exciting on our local patches.

Andy L.

 
At 10:35 am, Blogger Ashley powell said...

Nice find Steve, i still havn't seen Common Crane whilst living in Kent!
Nice pictures from the previous post of Grizzled Skipper, I shall go and have a look at that area after my exams.
Nice posts cheers,
Ash

 

Post a Comment

<< Home