Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday 30th May

I took some time off work today to help out with the children. We spent some time behind Birling church then an hour and a half with a picnic at New Hythe followed by an hour at a playground in the next village of Ryarsh.
I was hoping to see a Spotted Flycatcher in Birling Churchyard but no sign. Just a calling Cuckoo and a Whitethroat. Over at New Hythe we walked from Lunsford Lane to the dipping platform on the round pond and back. Not many birds singing, just a few Reed Warbler, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Reed Bunting and Blackcap. On the Round Pond we watched 2 Four-spotted Chasers duelling over the water and chasing Blue Damsels. Later back-up at the Millstream on Lunsford Lane we saw at least 6 female and 4 Male Banded Demoiselle.
Banded Demoiselle (female)

Banded Demoiselle (male)

Ryarsh was very quiet and as we went back to the car I heard a Greenfinch making a strange alarm call by the village hall. I turned expecting to see a Sparrowhawk shoot by but instead I was suprised to see a Little Owl sitting on the village hall roof. I grabbed my camera and managed to get one shot before it flew off. Not bad picture seeing as I took it with my macro lens!

Little Owl

2 Comments:

At 6:51 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

Smart Little owl there steve, interesting to see the banded demoiselle, to compare with the Beautiful demoiselle I have been seeing.

 
At 7:32 pm, Blogger John Young said...

Another good day for wildlife and the family. I use my 300mm f4 with a 1.4 converter and can focus down to 1.5 metres. I'm finding this a very versatile lens for a prime and it is nice and sharp. Male banded damoiselle looks great haven't seen one for a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home