Saturday, May 31, 2008

Saturday 31st May

From 4am this morning I had 3 Little Owl calling around my garden. One was viewable from my bedroom window high up in a tree. We usually have 2-3 pairs breed around the village so good to hear they are still holding strong. I also ran my moth trap last night just one Treble Lines moth (Charanyca trigrammica) and two male Common Swift (Hepialus Iupulinus)
My only visit to New Hythe today was again with the children from 2 - 3.30. We took our pond dipping stuff and spent our time on the dipping platform again over the Round Pond. Lots of Pond snail, Ramshorn Snail, Water Beetle and Whirligig Beetles. Also 6 Damselfly Nymphs - anyone any idea of the species?

Damselfly Nymph

My three cherubs looking at our pond dipping catch

Best bird sighting was a Hobby circling over, 4 Whitethroat, 3 Reed Warbler and 2 Pairs of Reed Bunting feeding young.




2 Comments:

At 10:51 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Great to hear about the Hobby, welldone mate.

 
At 5:28 pm, Blogger Kingsdowner said...

Pond-dipping's great fun, isn't it.
Did you catch any water voles?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home