Saturday, April 05, 2008

Saturday April 5th

Out this morning from 6.30 until 10.30 with the last half an hour at Holly Hill just above Birling.

SPARROWHAWK DISPLAYING

WREN

The weather alternated between showers and bright sunshine. Two new bird species for the year for me today with 6 Willow Warbler (with 4 in the West Scrub area) and 3 Swallow, 2 over the scrape with 60 Sand Martin and 2 House Martin and one over Brooklands with a few Sand Martin. Also 11 singing Blackcap, 13 Chiffchaff, 10 singing Cettis and at least three Sparrowhawk. The Sparrowhawk were very active this morning with lots of displaying. 2 Teal were lingering on the Medway, a Shelduck over, 2 Bullfinch, 2 Kingfisher, 1 Reed Bunting, 2 Green Woodpecker and a Stock Dove completed the bird sightings.

WILLOW WARBLER

I saw my first Grass Snake of the year and 2 Water Vole - the usual one near the divers car park bridge and another in the ditch near the east scrub.

GRASS SNAKE

On my way home I called in at Holly Hill to check for reptiles. I saw a female Adder (wasn't quick enough to snap it!) and 4 Slow Worm. Also my first Peacock butterfly of the year.

SLOW WORM (HOLLY HILL)

3 Comments:

At 2:39 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

I do like the reptile shoys steve! I hope to get some myself, if the sun comes back !!

 
At 5:55 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Great reptile photos. Spotted some Slowworms in Mote Park today.

 
At 5:10 pm, Blogger Kingsdowner said...

Great report! It's difficult to think of reptiles and birdsong as the snow comes down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home