Friday, January 25, 2008

Friday 25th January

Not at work today so managed a bonus visit between 8.45 and 10.45.


I visited the Motorway Lake first and quickly relocated the redhead Smew. The light was good but it remained right over the other side of the lake. I took a few pictures but it was just too far away.
I then drove to the other end of Lunsford Lane and walked from there. A Great Spotted Woodpecker showed well in a Silver Birch and a Green Sandpiper was on the scrape. The usual Water Vole was by the divers car park near the bridge. Over towards Abbeymead, I had the first of what must have been a dozen Bullfinch around the pit. They really have increased in number here. A Chiffchaff called close to the river and a Sparrowhawk shot past.

BULLFINCH

As I was scanning Abbeymead I saw something odd in the water on the far side, I walked around the lake and waded in. It was a dead, partially submerged Tawny Owl, caught up in fishing line. Apologies for the rather grizzly picture. I have never seen a live Tawny Owl here before although there were reports of one calling in this area by one of the fisherman last year.

TAWNY OWL caught in fishing line - unfortunately my first record for New Hythe



20+ Teal on the river, a brief Water Rail and 5 Cettis (actually saw 1!) were the only other sightings of note.

Long Tailed Tit

1 Comments:

At 10:46 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Some good sightings Steve. Sad news about the Tawny. I think Bullfinches are definitely increasing, a pair nested in the Park in 2007 for the firs time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home