Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wednesday 25th April

I was woken up by a Cuckoo calling in Birling at 5.30am so I was up and out and at New Hythe for 5.50 - a Goldcrest was singing in Birling Churchyard as I left.


Arriving at New Hythe I heard the first of 8 Nightingale singing by the Water Works. Whitethroat were very prominent this morning, I recorded 9 this morning across the area. 2 Willow Warbler were singing in the east scrub.

SUNRISE OVER THE NORTH DOWNS

Over around Abbey Mead, a Cettis was along the river and 13 Shelduck were on the Medway. A Turtle Dove was purring on wires over the sunken marsh and a Cuckoo was again nearby. In the reeds here a single Sedge Warbler and 2 Reed Warbler were in song. My only Lesser Whitethroat of the morning was close by as were 2 more Cettis.

WILLOW WARBLER SINGING IN THE EAST SCRUB

I walked all around Abbey Mead. At the south end 6 drunk lads were fishing and the place was a terrible mess - they were quite aggressive so I backtracked and crossed the railway along the top path.

As I crossed the bridge near the divers car park I had good views of a Water Vole. A Kestrel went over and a Mistle Thrush was feeding close by on the ground.


WATER VOLE

1 Comments:

At 8:07 am, Blogger Kate said...

Wow! Lovely pics (again). At the moment, it seems that whenever I see a vole during the daylight I don't have my camera with me. Then, when I do have it, the sky's growing dark so I end up with gloomy shots of white-eyed zombie voles. Never mind; once the first litter's weaned and about they'll be easier to spot, and snap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home