Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wednesday 27th June

Out between 5.50 and 7.10 this morning. Good numbers of Swift wheeling around the lakes this morning, also a Nightingale still singing intermitantly by the pylon in the east scrub also a Green Woodpecker there and several Reed Warbler in this area.

Over the railway to Abbey Mead, the first of three Lesser Whitethroat was singing and a Cettis called loudly as I walked around the lake. Over to the sunken marsh - several more Reed Warbler, the Turtle Dove in the usual place on the wires and the two additional Lesser Whitethroat were rattling unseen in the bushes.

I struggled along the very overgrown path along the river (wish I hadn't half way down with head high nettles) back around the end of Abbey mead adding a Kingfisher which I was really pleased about - a real decline of this bird in the area over the last year.

Back over the divers bridge I lingered to see if I could see a Water Vole - I could hear one munching unseen further down the ditch here amongst the reeds and Loosestrife. A Sparrowhawk gave excellent views as it flew past with a small bird in it's tallons. I added a Great Spotted Woodpecker by the Water Works entrance just before I left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home