Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sunday 29th April

Again I was woken up by our local Cuckoo in Birling and I was at New Hythe by 5.45. It was a cold start with a brisk wind. Nightingale/Whitethroat and Cettis were subsequently not as numerous as yesterday.

A Cuckoo was calling as I arrived and parked by the Water Works, also a Nightingale in song here. The east scrub being a bit more sheltered held a Garden Warbler, 2 Willow Warblers, a Nightingale and Cettis - as well as the ubiquitous Whitethroat.

This morning I only had time for an hour and a half walk so I headed across towards Abbey Mead. The second of 7 Cettis called along the Medway, also a Lesser Whitethroat, Nightingale and Reed Warbler along here. Up towards the sunken marsh - the Turtle Dove was in it's usual place on the overhead wires. Unlike yesterday when I didn't hear any, at least 2 Sedge Warbler were in song in the reedbed.

c40 Sand Martin were wheeling over Brooklands and the second of 3 Cuckoo flew over. Back around the railway side of Abbey Mead, another Sedge Warbler was in song half way along.

A quick check in the east scrub - too cold for reptiles really so I was pleased to find one large male Slow Worm. A Water Vole swam across the ditch near the divers car park just before I left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home