Thursday, May 18, 2006

Thursday May 18th

A pre-work visit today between 06.00 and 07.00. It was a bit windy this morning but bright for a change. As I walked towards the scrape I had the first of 4 Cuckoo - the most I have seen here this year. The scrape itself was quiet with only 4 LBB Gulls and a few Coots. I crossed the bridge towards the open area passing a Lesser Whitethroat and Reed Warbler.

A female Slow Worm was in the open area - I would have attempted a picture but I had forgotten to put my macro lens in my bag. A few Swifts over this area and another Lesser Whitethroat and 2 Nightingale singing. Also a fox again beating a hasty retreat when he spotted me.

Over the railway track and around Abbey Mead - nothing really of great note. I stopped to photograph some Oak Apples - formed around the grub of Gall Wasps (see above).

2 Cettis Warbler near the sunken marsh at the top of Abbey Mead as well as 2 Turtle Doves on the wires.

As I walked around Brooklands Lake the sky began to darken and this brought about 100 Swifts and a few Sand Martins with it - wizzing around me and around the Paper Mill. Along the Millstream back to my car I added 2 Sedge Warbler, at least 6 singing Blackcap, Green as well as Great Spotted Woodpecker and a possible Hepatic Cuckoo - if it wasn''t it looked very brown......but I was looking into the light which made it difficult!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home