Sunday, April 18, 2010

Saturday 17th April

I can't seem to move my photos around so apologies for the odd format of this post.

Out from 6.30am to aboout 9.45. The mist got thicker and thicker until I couldn't even see the near bank of the Medway let alone the far bank. It didn't clear until around 9am. This hampered my progress somewhat.
Cuckoo Flower
First through the East Scrub where I found the badger footprints in the photos below. Also the first of 3 Nightingale here, but they are still not singing at full throttle. The second and third were near Brook House and in the West Scrub. Good numbers of Whitethroat - at least 6 but probably many more. I added 3 Lesser Whitethroat- one along the Medway, one in the Sunken Marsh and another at the top of Abbeymead. Also a Cuckoo calling briefly from the sunken marsh.
After a tip off from Eddie Denson I also added my first Sedge Warbler of the year, a single bird skulking in reeds outside the fisherman's building on Brooklands Lake. Just before leaving I also added my first Pied Wagtail of the year from Brooklands Lake car-park.

Badger prints

4 Comments:

At 12:07 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

That fog was a bit annoying Steve.

Great to see you've got Nightingales there still.

 
At 3:13 pm, Blogger abbey meadows said...

I'd be delighted with a pic like that of a Green woodpecker...a much sought after species up here. Nice post with some great species.

 
At 6:03 pm, Blogger Phil said...

So New Hythe is delivering the goods now Steve, good news about the Badger prints.Were you aware of Badgers on site previously?
Looking forward to getting down there myself tomorrow.

 
At 6:13 pm, Blogger Steve said...

Hi Phil, I had a dead Badger near Brooklands 10 years ago. I have a couple of sets in Birling not far as the Badger wanders!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home