Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday 17th January 2010

Out this morning from 8am until just before 10. Once the sun was fully up it was a lovely clear morning.
I was hoping to find a Woodcock as everyone else seems to have but no luck. I did however manage to add a number of new New Hythe ticks for the year for me.

Starting off tramping through the West Scrub where there were flocks of noisy Redwing and a few Fieldfare. Then across the East Scrub - no a great deal here just more Thrush and a Green Woodpecker.

Scanning Abbeymead I had my first Shelduck for the year and then along the river there were 2 Redshank and 20+ Teal. Also at least six Bullfinch along the river path. It was interesting to see the Grey Heron on the river starting to nest build as well.

Through the Sunken Marsh and then to the inlet just by Brooklands Lake. Here I added 2 Snipe and had good views of a Water Rail as it dashed in and out of the reedbed. A scan of Brookland and good to catch up with a female Goldeneye (very distant photo below) here but little else of real note.
Back to the car via the Millstream path I added a flyover Little Egret. Really enjoyable visit....with a hint of Spring in the air!!!

6 Comments:

At 6:46 pm, Blogger Greenie said...

Steve ,
Nearly came to New Hythe today , but decided further afield .
You're right , it did feel like Spring once the sun warmed things up .
Two nice duck records .

 
At 7:11 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

I agree Steve, it really was springlike toady.

I like that Goldfinch photo by the way.

 
At 9:08 pm, Blogger Adam said...

Nice pics as ever Steve, glad you're managing to get again. Don't worry about the Woodcock - I've had no luck either!

Ad

 
At 10:32 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Some good birds today Steve. I agree that it was very springlike today. I too haven't had any luck with Woodcock!

 
At 9:34 pm, Blogger Ken. said...

Hi Steve.
Nice couple of hours you had in nice weather. Good photo of the Robin. I couldn't see the female Goldeneye this afternoon(Monday, 18th)

 
At 4:52 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

Steve,
Thanks for the Idea about the TPO. I'll find out if we have one, and get in contact, maybe for future battles!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home