Sunday, November 19, 2006

November 19th 2006

My first visit since I injured my leg. Out between 08.50 and 11am this morning. Bright and sunny late Autumn day.

AUTUMN AT NEW HYTHE

The scrape was very quiet with just a few Moorhen, Coot and a 2 Grey Heron. As I walked towards the west scrub area I had my first Fieldfare over, quickly followed by a Redwing and a small mix flock of Greenfinch and Chaffinch. In the west scrub area there was a flock of c 20 Redwing as well as a small flock of LT tits, Mistle Thrush and Song Thrush.

Over the railway to Abbey Mead pit there were good numbers of Tufted Duck/Pochard, 3 GC Grebe and a Little Grebe as well as a flock of 100+ Black Headed Gull. A Goldcrest in the bushes and the first of four Cettis Warbler in the bushes along the railway also a Red Admiral - probably my latest ever. 3+ Bullfinch were calling around the top of the lake. Round Brooklands lake - fantastic views of the Ferruginous Duck no more than 20 feet from the bank in full sun (typical I wasn't lugging my big lens with me) Also another 2 Cettis Warbler here and a Great Spotted Woodpecker. 4+ Teal were spooked off the Medway as I past - I also had a glimpse of a Snipe as it shot across the river towards Holborough.

BROOKLANDS LAKE

Along the Millstream a Common Darter, several Goldfinch and a soaring Sparrowhawk. Back past the Scrape - another Sparrowhawk shot across my path and 3 more Common Darter were chasing each other in the ditch vying for the best spot in the sun.

Back to Birling I had another Red Admiral (now technically my latest ever!) as well as another soaring Sparrowhawk near the Church.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home